In Crap! I’m Broke, you start by finding some work. On your own for the first time, you begin your career as a human statue, club bouncer, or any other odd job you stumble upon — anything to avoid eviction and keep starvation at bay. Each “Help Wanted” sign presents a challenging new time-limited mini-game, such as:
- scrubbing dishes until they’re squeaky clean at a local diner
- flipping burgers for customers at a burger joint
- putting colored cans in their appropriate bins at a factory
Be sure to keep an eye on the countdown timer and hunger meters. Forgetting to pay your bills on time will get you evicted — while not saving enough money for food will cause you to die of starvation! On the other hand, paying your bills before the due date will unlock special micro-games that you can play at your leisure. If you complete special “Employee of the Month” challenges, you can also earn extra bonuses after every successful job!
Random events can and will take place — raising the cost of your bills at the end of the month. Thankfully, you can also earn lifetime achievements and buy new items to unlock higher paying jobs — eventually selling achievements and items on particularly tough months. Conversely, you can put off the inevitable by going into debt — but make sure you pay it off by the end of the month. If you’re late, say goodbye to that comfy apartment!
If you regularly complete challenges and do good deeds such donating to charities, you’ll be rewarded with good luck through Crap! I’m Broke’s karma system — which increases your chances at winning lottery tickets, receiving gifts in the mail, and more. Likewise, performing less-than-stellar deeds will land you on the business end of a series of unfortunate events.
- Enjoy a Cubist-inspired game world and a jazzy soundtrack by underground musician Kimono.
- Pursue a variety of careers as dishwasher, human statue, bouncer … and many more!
- Play fun mini-game jobs — and do whatever it takes to pay those bills.
- Use your newfound disposable income to buy items, unlock perks, and earn new jobs — spending as wisely or as recklessly as you see fit.
- Save spare time between levels and unlock micro-games.
- Choose and accomplish New Year’s resolutions and collect lifetime memories.
- Be a Good Samaritan and reap rewards — or misbehave and be met with bad luck — with an in-game karma system.
- Buy items at the in-game webshop that may grant you perks and access to new areas.