The third Edition of Ludicious – Zürich Game Festival will begin tomorrow, Thursday, January 26. From Thursday to Saturday, 600 game professionals will gather in Zurich to listen to international speakers at four conferences. While on Saturday and Sunday families will gather for the free Ludicious Family program. Highlight of the festival will be the Ludicious & SGDA Game Awards Night on Friday, January 27, where Ludicious will announce the winners of its International and Student Competition. The competitions will be judged by two Juries consisting of internationally renowned industry members. The nominees of the International and the Student Competition will be presented to the public in the exhibition. On Thursday, the Ludicious Business Accelerator – supported by Engagement Migros – will begin with the Swiss Pitch, followed by the Opening Apéro.
International and Student Jury
Ludicious aims to showcase the most innovative new games by young and upcoming studios from all over the world. This year’s «International Competition» nominees represent the best of contemporary game design. The following Jury members will select the winner of the Ludicious Award, worth € 8’000.
- Eric Zimmerman (Jury President) – Co-author of Rules of Play and the Game Design Reader, co-founder of The Institute of Play and founding faculty and Arts Professor at the NYU Game Center.
- John Gaudiosi – Journalist with over 25 years of experience writing for Forbes, Reuters, Wired, RollingStone.com and many others. Co-founder and president of Greenlit Content.
- Karoliina Korppoo – Lead designer of Cities: Skylines at Colossal Order.
The nominees of the «Student Competition» convince with innovative and daring new concepts. The following Jury members will select the winner of the Outstanding Talent Award, worth € 4’000.
- Fleur Marty (Jury President) – Producer of the Deus Ex Live Team at Eidos Montréal.
- Koh Kim – Early member of the Google Play Games Business Development team.
- Chris Bergstresser – After working in publishing for Konami and managing third party testing at Sega he is now an investor at MTGx (Modern Times Group).
With the conference program still going strong on Saturday, the exhibition will already be open to the public as part of Ludicious Family. The free, family oriented program will continue Sunday with free presentations as well as free game design workshops for children and teenagers.
Play Over 50 Games in Three Exhibitions
Over 50 games will be exhibited and playable, from a selection of Swiss and International developers. In the main exhibition, the 18 nominees of the International and Student competition will be shown next to the participants of the Ludicious Business Accelerator, as well as games from Swiss and German universities. By Showcasing games such as Brain Runners and Plunder Planet, the Beyond the Screen exhibition will show what’s possible outside of the realm of the ordinary. The #SwissGames expo showcases 14 works from developers from across Switzerland highlighting the rich diversity of local talent. The exhibitions are free to visit and open to the public on Saturday and Sunday, January 28 & 29, as part of Ludicious Family.
Ludicious Business Accelerator
The Ludicious Business Accelerator presented by Engagement Migros focuses on boosting ten promising Swiss game studios by enabling them to present their work to internationally leading professionals of the game industry. The program includes the Swiss Pitch on Thursday evening as well as match-making sessions on Friday. The ten games of the Ludicious Business Accelerator are also being shown in the exhibitions.