The protagonist of Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse dies. Oops, spoilers! Oh wait no, that’s in like…the first five minutes of the game. That’s right, the Hunter-in-training for the Outlaw Hunters, a demon-fighting organization, bites off more than he could chew early in the game and gets murdered by a particularly unconcerned (yet fabulous) demon.
This is the agent of your demise
Luckily for players, death isn’t exactly a permanent state in the world of Apocalypse. The lesser god Dagda has taken a keen interest towards our hero and “rewards” him with a second chance at life. But like most things in life, the second chance isn’t free, and the protagonist is bound to Dagda as his vassal for the coming events.
As Tokyo is caught as the battle ground between Merkabah and Lucifer (with some familiar faces from the Eastern Kingdom of Mikado thrown in the mix), Dagda’s position in the battle isn’t exactly clear, but one thing’s for sure…the protagonist’s work is just beginning.
Oh, we’re not done yet! Because you can’t just go around the ruins of Tokyo looking like a slob, players who pre-order Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse from GameStop/EB Games, Amazon.com/Amazon.ca, or Best Buy will receive some stylish DLC armor, fit for the aspiring demon-hunter! Take a look below.
The plot of Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse overlaps with Shin Megami Tensei IV (and features some familiar characters), but no previous experience with the original is required! Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse arrives on Nintendo 3DS systems in the Americas this summer, and will be available physically and digitally for $49.99/CA$64.99. The game features:
- Divine Intrigue – Choose between peace or anarchy while being a pawn in the gods’ chess game.
- Combat Partners – Hunting demons is dangerous, so count on some backup! Alongside the standard three demons, players will be able to rely on one of seven partners to help win battles.
- Oodles of Demons – Be on your guard because Tokyo is infested with a series record 450+ demons to fight, fuse, or recruit.
- Revamped Demon Fusion – Demons will have affinities for certain skills, so players can better plan the outcome of fusions.
- Classic SMT Combat – Prospective Hunters will exploit weaknesses, boost attributes, and unlock skill bonuses with the returning Press Turn and Smirking systems.