“We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills – we shall never surrender…”
Winston Churchill in a speech after the evacuation of Dunkirk.
Operation Dynamo—A new event for Operations mode!
As many of you are no doubt aware, we recently teamed up with the good folks at Warner Brothers in support of their upcoming epic action thriller Dunkirk. As part of this, Update 0.6.8 is bringing a special new game event to Operations mode—Operation Dynamo!
Inspired by the Battle of Dunkirk, the historic evacuation of Allied forces from France after being surrounded during the closing stages of the Battle of France, this game mode will see you captaining your own destroyer in an attempt to assist in the evacuation. Complete missions and get reward containers every day! Note that even more missions and rewards wait for you during the weekend. Gather all “Dunkirk” collection items and get the main reward – a special British commander!
Main Objective: Safely evacuate at least 3,000 soldiers
You get a”Dunkirk” Medal achievement for accomplishing the Main Objective.
Safely evacuate at least 7,000 soldiers
Destroy at least 25 torpedo boats
Shoot down at least 8 enemy fighter squadrons
Shoot down at least 80 bomber and torpedo squadrons
Save at least 7 civilian ships
You earn a star for each Secondary Objective completed. The number of stars determines your reward. Learn more about Operation rewards.
5x India Delta
5x Juliet Charlie
5x Mike Yankee Soxisix
5x Sierra Mike
5x India X-Ray
5x Juliet Whiskey Unaone
10x Equal Speed Charlie London
10x Zulu Hotel
*You’ll also get a Reserve Slot if no other Slots are available
Cooldown: When an Operation battle ends, the ship you joined it with will assume the “Waiting for Order” status and will be unavailable in the Operations mode for 30 minutes, which starts when the Operation finishes and the ship returns from battles. Unlocking the ship (i.e. giving it a new order) immediately costs 75,000 Credits or 20 Doubloons.
How long will Operation Dynamo be available for?
After the release of 0.6.8, Operation Dynamo will be the “operation of the week” for two weeks. After that, it will be unavailable, and most likely, it will return as a regular operation after adaptation for regular destroyers.
Tell me more about the Operation?
The goal of Operation Dynamo will be for players to get to the evacuation zone, carry out an evacuation, and then get to the safe zone. As part of this, a new mechanic for loading and unloading resources to and from ships will be implemented. The evacuation areas will be marked on the map. Once a ship enters one of them—providing it is sailing slower than 10 knots and not on fire or flooding—it will start embarking or disembarking. When any damage is done to a ship with cargo on board, its cargo will decrease.
Nothin’ friendly about it: As part of Operation Dynamo, Friendly Fire will be disabled, including damage from ramming with allies!
Besides the players, Allied aircraft will be supporting you, with cargo ships under AI control assisting in the evacuation. Indicators above them will show the degree of their availability.
Evacuate the Troops!
But it is not just cargo you will be rescuing! A special evacuation area, known as the “Drowning Soldiers zone”, appears on the site of a destroyed Allied ship on the map. The initial number of soldiers in it is the same as on the ship at the time of its destruction. Every few seconds, their number decreases until the moment an allied ship arrives to rescue them. If there is space on board, it will start the embarkation up to its limit. If there’s no space while it is at the point, the number of “drowning soldiers” simply doesn’t decrease. The zone disappears as soon as its counter goes down to zero.
New Enemies to face
Players will have to be on their toes! Opposing them will be torpedo boats, air raids, and other threats:
- Schnellboot torpedo boats: small but very fast and armed with torpedoes—however, ramming will be very effective against them!
- Luftwaffe air raids!
- Coastal batteries: deliver accurate fire from the shore at the players and their allies from off map, these batteries will be a constant threat to the evacuation.
Beware the mines!
A new threat lurks beneath the seas of World of Warships!
- These are stationary objects, which are triggered by contact with the ship’s hull, similarly to torpedoes
- Mines may cause flooding and disable/destroy modules
- After exploding, the mine disappears from where it was and it becomes possible to pass through the area
- In Operation Dynamo, mines will be located within the mine fields marked on the minimap. In the game world and on a tactical map, the borders of the barrier will not be displayed.
- The indicator (red icon above) will inform players when they are close to mines, similarly to torpedo detection. The indicator will start signalling at ~ 1 km from the closest mine.
- The mine itself is highlighted in the immediate vicinity of the ship.
- The mine marker is displayed only to the person who directly detected it. It can not be highlighted for anyone else.
- Mines cannot be destroyed with guns!
New Ships—Anthony and Cyclone!
To complete the operation, players will have a choice of two special event destroyers, or HMS Gallant, if the player has bought it.
- The Tier V British destroyer Anthony. Its speciality is the Defensive Fire consumable, allowing it to counter enemy airpower more effectively!
- The Tier V French destroyer Cyclone. More of a gun destroyer, it has increased shell damage compared to Anthony making it better suited to hunting down enemy torpedo boats!
Please note that Anthony and Cyclone will be added to the accounts of the players along with their commanders and removed after the end of the event. You can only battle on them in Operation Dynamo, meaning you’ll have to have a Service Record level of 8+.
Rewards and the Operation Dynamo Collection!
After the success of our “Hunt for Bismarck” campaign collection, we are following it up with a new collection set focused around the battle of Dunkirk! The collection will consist of 16 emblems, arranged into three different categories—military equipment, civilian ships, and cars—with each model accompanied by a historical reference!
Emblems can be obtained from special event containers, with duplicates being exchangeable for any missing ones. There are two types of such containers, each filled with goodies. Also, for the lucky amongst you, there will be a change to win your very own HMS Gallant to take part in the event with!
1. Event chain containers
Contains three rewards:
- Two emblems (can be the same)
- A third reward from the following
- (Most common): one Signal Flag from the following: Blue Dragon, Wyvern, Red Dragon, Ouroboros, or Hydra
- (Rarer): one set of three flag signals from the following: Blue Dragon, Wyvern, Red Dragon, Ouroboros, or Hydra
- (Rarest): the Premium Tier VI British Destroyer HMS Gallant
Please note that it is possible to get two of the same emblem in a container. If the player already has HMS Gallant, then a random ship from the super containers will be rewarded. If the player has all the premium ships from this list, then they will be recompensed the cost of HMS Gallant in doubloons.
2. Premium Shop event containers
Containers will also be available in the Premium Shop for a limited time, and will contain three rewards:
- One emblem
- Two sets from the following:
- (Common): one set of seven Signal Flags from the following: Blue Dragon, Wyvern, Red Dragon, Ouroboros, or Hydra
- (Rare): one set of 15 Signal Flags from the following: Blue Dragon, Wyvern, Red Dragon, Ouroboros, or Hydra
After the end of the event, players will still be able to open all unopened containers they have received. If the collection is completed, then all duplicates will be automatically exchanged at the rate of 1: 15,000 credits
Earn a Special British Commander and Custom permanent camouflage for Dunkerque!
Players who complete the collection will be rewarded with a commemorative flag, a special achievement, and their very own unique British Commander, “Jack Dunkirk”, who comes with the following:
- Jack of All Trades: 10% to the reloading time of all installed consumables (by default 5%)
- Expert Marksman: +3 degrees to the rotation speed of the guns up to 139 mm, +1 degree to the rotation speed of the guns more than 139 mm calibre (by default +2/+0.7)
- Smoke Screen Expert: + 30% to the smoke screen radius (by default 20%)
- Jack Dunkirk is trained for the Tier I British Cruiser Black Swan
- The commander will have 10 free skill points to distribute how you see fit
For completing the event chain, a special permanent camouflage for the French battleship Dunkerque will also be available!
Deck your French Battleship out in the Tricolour with this stunning camouflage, featuring a beautiful fleur-de-lis on top!
A new port
Not only that, we have also added a new Port for you all to enjoy, inspired by the event!
So, now that you all have done your reconnaissance and are more aware of the mission at hand, we look forward to seeing you take part in Operation Dynamo soon!