Leap of Fate, the narrative-driven, cyberpunk isometric roguelike is now available to buy on Steam and the Humble Store.
Leap of Fate has an intriguing grown-up design philosophy and great development story (Mattieu Bégin, lead developer runs Clever-Plays with his wife from their Montreal family home – see below).
“With Leap of Fate we wanted to make a fresh roguelike with more narrative substance”, said Mattieu Bégin, lead developer of Clever-Plays. “There’s no main evil guy to defeat, it’s about overcoming your own fears, discovering your own fate. For me, it’s the culmination of a decades-long journey, from making tabletop RPGs and board games as a child to running an independent games studio today. We’re so excited to release our debut game and can’t wait to see which of the four playable characters is the most popular. There’s some strong discussion online already!”
What is Leap of Fate?
Developed by Montreal-based Clever-Plays, Leap of Fate is a fresh take on the roguelike genre. With its more mature, narrative-driven story, isometric perspective and furious gameplay, Leap of Fate adds depth to the typical roguelike. Here are some of the key features:
- Explore a modern-day cyberpunk fantasy spanning cybernetics labs, dark alleys & secret societies
- Enjoy furiously-paced action with extremely mobile Shadow Walk ability
- Upgrade a hundred+ magical skills through an innovative, randomly-generated skill tree system
- Battle a hundred+ randomly placed enemies, from pit fighters to mad cultists
- Navigate through the Deck of Fate (magical tarot cards) to determine your procedurally-generated levels
- Discover the four distinct stories of the player-characters, told through beautifully illustrated cinematics
In Leap of Fate, you play one of four mages, each with their own distinct gameplay style and storyline:
- Aeon, the shadow mage – Psychologically scarred by years of oppression in a secret society
- Big Mo, the cyborg technomancer – Wrestling to come to terms with his dual nature
- Mukai, the spirit channeler – Struggling to regain control of her mind from three powerful entities
- Rasimov, the rogue occultist – A centuries-old mage on an endless quest to cheat death