With series regulars Geese Howard, Billy Kane, and the newly introduced Hein, Team South Town is basically Team Fatal Fury with bad guys in THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIV.
Let’s start with Geese Howard, the notorious crime lord from South Town who reminds me of a villain from a popular 1980s karate kids movie. He utilizes the Hakkyokuseiken style, and mercilessly brutalizes unlucky opponents with a mix of electric strikes and throws. Geese is big, bad, and ready to prove that he’s the strongest fighter on the planet by crushing the competition in the tournament. However he can’t do it alone, so he’s joined by his right hand man Billy Kane and dapper new bodyguard Hein (who legitimately all remind me of 80s villains). The bandana wearing Billy wields a tri-section staff which he uses to teach opponents all about his Bojutsu mastery and affinity for fire. On the other hand, Hein is ready to fight with his chess inspired fighting style called “Gambit.” When he’s not busy adjusting his glasses and fixing his tie, Hein puts his lanky limbs to deadly use and also appears to control some sort of dark-red energy in combat.
Can Geese and co. sweep (the leg of) THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIV tournament and prove that they’re the best? around?
Here are the top-line refinements for THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIV:
- 3D Evolution: All 50 fighters, movesets and more are rendered in full 3D graphics that preserves the essence of KOF’s visual style but updates it with a whole new dimension.
- The Best Refinement since KOF ’98: Through extensive playtesting and balancing, the controls have been streamlined, and the Combo and Max Mode mechanics have been overhauled to create the most competitive fighter in SNK’s history.
- The KOF Saga Continues: There’s a robust single-player storyline where several years have passed since the previous KOF tournament. Now a worldwide business, the global KOF will decide who is the strongest as both individuals and companies with their own ambitions have come to compete. Players compete against CPU-controlled opponents to unlock the storyline.
- The Best Roster Yet: There are 50 fighters total, with 31 returning from previous entries into the KOF series, and 19 brand new characters. All 50 characters will be available at the game’s launch.
- Revamped Online Experience: THE KING OF FIGHTERS XIV has devoted a lot of development time to improving the game’s netcode for vastly improved online gameplay. KOF XIV uses the PS4’s online architecture to have a whole host of online conveniences, from spectating to saving replay/battle data, and having a single online KOF XIV profile to connect with friends.
The game will be $59.99/CA$79.99 at launch. Pre-orders and a limited number of launch editions will arrive in this special SteelBook® case. Plus, for the week following launch, the Classic Kyo costume DLC will be free to all players!